The secret to a beautifully styled bedroom is always lots of texture. A bedroom should feel serene, cosy and the kind of space you just want to laze around in. Layers of texture can transform a room from a two dimensional space into a 3-D wonderland, where everything just screams "jump right in"...
As the cold winter months draw to a close and the sun starts shining, I start to look at my bedlinen and pack away the heavier throws and doonas, and opt for lighter textures and colours. So what's the best way to ensure our bedrooms still feel cosy and textural even in the warmer months? Well, here are some of my top tips for creating a beautiful layered bedroom:
1. Always add the extra decorative layer at the end of the bed with a knitted throw, or faux fur. The Boucle throw from Lorraine Lea (hanging on coat stand) is perfect for transeasonal months, it's a rustic knit with a gorgeous big tasseled fringe that won't overpower your bed.
2. Artwork will make a room come to life. Choose a statement piece for the bedroom and bring in complimentary colours though your bedlinen. Start with the art and work back from there. Bring out an unexpected colour in subtle highlights like the mustard in the backing pillows below.
3. Incorporate natural elements and materials like leather and timber to make the room feel warm. An occasional chair will give you another opportunity to style a little corner of the room and make it feel 3 dimensional. Dress the chair with an oversized cushion for maximum cosiness!
4. Bedheads! There are so many great options out there in the way of bedheads and bedframes that use gorgeous materials like linens and velvets and even leather options. Choose something that compliments the other surfaces in your room and works back with artwork and linen colours.
5. Bedside tables that are created with more than one finish help build an interesting bedroom look. The Tuck bedsides from Jardan are my hands down favorites, with marble tops and leather shelves, all adding to create layers of dreamy bedroom texture.
6. Soft textural cushions are the finishing touch to a cosy bedroom space. Mix up different sizes, colours and textures to add interest and layers. The range of faux fur cushions from Lorraine Lea are favourites and bring a touch of luxury and warmth to any bedroom.