Your Christmas Table - The Stag Wines
As the countdown to Christmas Day is on, and I have ticked most of the presents off the list, my mind now immediately switches to food, wine and the Christmas table! Styling the table on Christmas Day is one of my favourite things about Christmas. I hosted a little catch up this weekend with friends and I thought I would take you on a tour of my table, and share my tips on what wine to bring along on the big day.
As a lover of the Yarra Valley I was thrilled to come across a new wine from historic vineyard St. Huberts, and this year it's unveiled two new elegant, cool-climate style wines with a striking label design (so important when theming to your Christmas table or bringing along to lunch!) - The Stag Chardonnay and The Stag Shiraz, and they're beautiful. The Stag Shiraz is medium bodied with spicy, peppery notes and hints of red fruits with darker fruits and supple tannins. The Chardonnay is dominated by vibrant citrus notes and lively acidity - it has a fresh and evenly textured palate with a feather dusting of oak. The release of the Stag Shiraz and The Stag Chardonnay follows the success of The Stag Pinot Noir which St Huberts has produced since 2008, forming a tier of three Stag wines.
When I was planning my table this weekend, I wanted to create a elegant Christmas theme so I took inspiration from The Stag bottles, which evoked a sense of grace and reverence and worked perfectly for my monochromatic theme.
To make my table arrangements pop, I have used cypress cuttings layed down the centre of my table, intertwined with green berries from Blush Floral Design. My centerpiece of big white fluffy hydreangeas added a glamorous sense of occasion and made the table feel really special. Matt off white oblong plates were dressed with matt black cutlery and linen napkins were tied up with gold string for a pop of metallic luxe and finished off with small cypress cuttings and white paper stars. The finishing touch to my table were black Noir candles by Kate Hill Flowers.
Here are a few simple tips for creating a striking table on Christmas Day:
1. Choose a theme and work in all napery, cutlery, and table accessories back to that. Stick with a colour palette of 2-3 colours.
2. Set the table before your guests arrive - sounds like a no brainer but plan ahead and literally lay it all out. Dress it with food so you can relax when your guests arrive.
3. Consider the wine - people will remember a good wine and think about matching it back with your food.
4. Theme your flowers to your theme and create a centrepiece to catch your guests attention and make the table feel special. Just make sure people can still see eachother from the other side of the table. Consider laying florals down the table, or dotting smaller vases all the way down.
5. Have fun! Try to prepare as much as possible the might before to ensure you're not stuck in the kitchen the whole time. Relax and entertain in style!
The Stag Shiraz and The Stag Chardonnay are available from leading wine retailers, the St Huberts cellar door and on-premise venues at an RRP of $19.95.